The Radish

The Radish

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

My first bike ride....

     So tonight was my first bike ride of 2012! It was a short one, at only 8 miles, but it was still tough after sitting all winter. I loved being back on my bike but I wish that I would have had someone to ride with. I must say that I feel refreshed and I am glad that I did something a little more active than staring at my garden. Hopefully I can ride tomorrow and and the next few days. Who knows I may even ride to school a few days next week. I wish I had taken my camera as the wildlife seemed to be out this evening. Most of it were ground squirrels, birds, etc. I did however see a muskrat today which was kind of cool!
     Its funny to me when I think about me and riding bikes. It sure wasn't something that I enjoyed doing before Laura and if you ask her its because I never had a proper bike. I can remember when I first rode by myself here in Iowa. I was still getting used to my biking shoes that allow me to clip into my pedals. I was almost toward the end of my ride and had been doing well when I came across several female cyclists who were part of some sort of team. I was doing well and keeping up with them for a while and they were being kind. Then it happened.....we came to a stop and I struggled to clip out of my pedal. My bike and I started to topple over and luckily I was able to clip out and do a sort of jump at the last moment so I did not fall with my bike. I was horrified, my first time out on my own and I biffed it in front of a group of women who seemed to me like pros. Now, clipping in and out seems like a breeze and sometimes I even forget that I am doing it. I am not an amazing rider and I get tired when I ride, but I do enjoy getting out there and sweating. It makes me feel good and I know that I am doing good for my body when I do it.
Me, last year during a ride
  .

No comments:

Post a Comment