The Radish

The Radish

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Winter Break

So I know I disappeared for a few days but it was so I could recover from the end of the school year. It was hectic and then to top it all off the weekend was super hectic too! I've decided that while I am home for a month that I can start planning meals for a week and hopefully that will keep it so I don't eat out every night or hunger and wonder what to eat. This decision though has started out a very costly one, because I realize to my horror I do not own basic cooking ingredients in my house such as; canola oil, cornstarch,or even basic spices. So after $200 dollars I think I may have what I need. Also I'm beginning to think I should plan meals with less veggies, not because I don't love them, but I can eat for a heck of a lot cheaper if I forgo the veggies. Actually what this really means is that I will need to plant my garden in the spring and stop funding Hy-vee. On the Hy-vee subject I am mad at Hy-vee and had a good chuckle . I have had mutliple problems with baggers/cashiers at Hy-vee and lets understand that neither of those are rocket science, now I'm not saying their isn't some art or finesse that goes along with bagging (I've been there done and trained it). But, rule number 1 do not put eggs upside down in a bag at the bottom of the cart (unless you want to clean up a mess); rule number 2 cannned items do not go on top of veggies such as tomatoes and bananas (unless you really want an angry customer); rule number 3 if you drop someones pomegranate on the floor do not hurriedly pick it up, put it in a bag, and try to hide the fact that you broke it (especially in front of someone who managed customer service for awhile and it was their job to look for these things); and rule number 4, the last one for today, if the bagger is not done with the previous customers order, help him bag it, do not start ringing up the next customers order (I mean thank you lady behind me for the yeast but I would really like my $10 worth of magazines back). Though on a brighter note, I was looking for grits yesterday while at Hy-vee and was stunned to see that they have only one type but was even more stunned when my cashier looked at the boxes, pointed at them (not saying their name), and asked 'are those good?'. I almost burst out laughing at her but I contained myself and told her of how great they are, I think she was still skeptical though, oh well more grits for me!!!! Sometimes its funny the different things you hear in different areas of the country. If your ever in the Midwest (maybe not a very rural area) ask them if they like boiled peanuts, they may look at you like your crazy, but again when I find them more for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment