The Radish

The Radish

Saturday, January 7, 2012

T-Minus 10 Days and counting....

So school starts in 10 days and thinking about it brings both a frown and smile to my face. I am ready for this semester to begin simply to keep me busy, but I also would rather wait as I am not looking forward to homework. I've never enjoyed homework and those that do are more than welcome to have it! It's not that homework is ever even hard or challenging but a waste of my time. Personally I never feel like I walk away from my homework smarter or more knowledgeable about the subject matter. It mostly seems like busy work, when I would much rather be reading for pleasure, playing video games, or even sleeping. I also fear that homework is going to get in the way of my magnificent garden that I have planned for this year. Personally I think that food out weighs homework any day! I just love to eat! 

It may not help that I have also become a little over zealous about my garden and my seed order is going to show this. We will be planting multiple varieties of tomatoes, pinto beans, kidney beans, black beans, sweet corn (I had to tell myself no on multiple accounts to not buy corn for flour), cucumbers (both regular size and pickling size), a variety of lettuce, collard greens, mustard greens, peas, mini bell peppers, pumpkins, spinach, butternut squash, strawberries, watermelon, asparagus (luckily I won't have to worry about a crop from this plant for awhile), great northern beans, garbanzo beans, lima benas, cabbage (for sauerkraut and possible cabbage soup!), carrots, sweet onions, snap peas, sugar peas, potatoes, zucchini, thyme, sage, spearmint, peppermint, chives, parsley, dill, cilantro, basil, and oregano. If everything grows well I may be feeding the neighborhood (eek!). We are also looking into getting a few rabbits (for manure), worms (for compost), and bugs (well to ward off the bad bugs).

I'm not sure if I have talked about chickens yet ( I should really learn to reread my posts), but I am so mad at Iowa City for not allowing urban chickens (hens). I feel it is my right to raise a chicken or two for eggs and that I should not be forced to buy eggs. I do know quite a few people who keep "illegal" chickens and I have thought about doing the same but I would get caught and I would hate to have to pay for harvesting "illegal" chickens (though it would probably make for a funny blog post). Oh well this is something I will either have to look forward to on my future farm or hope Iowa City changes their stupid law! (Also if I have vented about this before I apologize, I just think that it is stupid)

Well I must now skip off to the library because I have overdue books and need to get the heck out of my house!   

No comments:

Post a Comment