The Radish

The Radish

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Gone....

I know I have been gone for quite some time. Life seems to come at you fast though sometimes. I have been quite busy in dealing with taking care of Penny (my rabbit). She had several abscesses grow on her neck and its been a battle trying to take care of them. The sad truth of the whole matter is Penny herself might be gone soon. If you do not know much about rabbits or the abscesses they can get let me tell you they are pains, hard to treat, expensive to treat, and not always does it work out. So far every time we thought we had one dealt with another one springs up and the vet doesn't seem to think it looks good, abscesses long term wear down the immune system and can slowly kill them that way. We may have to put her down on Tuesday. Just the daily care is too much for her to handle and we have been having problems with blood pressure rising, causing her eyes to bulge among other problems. We could opt for expensive treatments but I'm not sure if the stress long term would be good for her and many of these treatments do not always help. I know that right now she is at home resting, eating lots of good vegetables, and I'm giving her as much love as she will let me. I have been in a state of denial and sadness and sometimes making the right choices for a pet are harder then you plan. I would like to add that we have not come to the decision to put her down we are taking things into consideration so please do not scold me for choosing to do it if that becomes the choice. I have been struggling daily with the options and I am sad beyond words at the moment, but whatever choice I make will be the best for her and to keep her from suffering. 

On another note my garden is doing well. Hopefully as things maybe calm down here I can post some pictures.     

2 comments:

  1. I know how it can be, making the life/death decision on a loved animal.

    Just the other day I was asked by my neighbor to put down their cat. It was severely ill and they couldn't afford to have the vet put it down.

    I agreed to put it down for them, and even though the cat wasn't my pet, it was a particularly hard thing for me to do.

    I've put plenty of animals down before, but something about the fact that it's someones pet really pulls on my heartstrings.

    ReplyDelete